The new Pantone Ultra Violet color is quickly becoming the latest thing in fashion and interior design. Incorporating this ultra violet purple into your wardrobe or home decor can be a challenge, because it is a very bold and provocative color. Today, I have some inspiration for adding this trendy color into your fashion for 2018.
Who is Pantone?
You may be wondering just what is Pantone. Pantone is a company that releases color swatches that will print accurately and remain true across computer screens, across various industries such as the design industry, the fashion industry, and the interior design industry.
According to Pantone,
Pantone LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of X-Rite, Incorporated, is the world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries. The PANTONE® name is known worldwide as the standard language for color communication from designer to manufacturer to retailer to customer.
For more information on Pantone and what they do, visit the Pantone website.
Additionally, every year, Pantone selects one or two colors to represent the year. For 2018, Pantone has chosen a purple color called “Ultra Violet”. The Color of the Year represents not only what is trending around the world, but also a reflection of our world today.
Pantone Color of the Year 2018 – Ultra Violet
Traditionally, Purple has represented luxury, mystery, and passion. Pantone’s Ultra Violet expands on these ideas even further. Ultra Violet brings with it a sense of exploration, originality, discovery, and mystique. Ultra violet is a blue-based purple encouraging hope and innovation. According to Pantone’s Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute, Leatrice Eiseman, [Ultra violet] “communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking that points us towards the future.”
Tips on Wearing Pantone’s Ultra Violet in Fashion
While the purple shade that Pantone has chosen for 2018 is a really gorgeous color, there are some issues with wearing it. First, purple can be a very overpowering color. Often, unconventional pop culture icons have used this purple shade such as David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, and Prince. Second, purple has long been one of those colors that mainstream fashion avoids due to the awkward and overpowering features that this color has. So how can we incorporate this trendy ultraviolet color into our fashion style in real life?
The easiest way to wear ultraviolet is to use it sparingly for pops of color as an accent. Some examples of this would be ultra violet socks, nail polish, or jewelry pieces. You can also incorporate ultra violet into your fashion through blouses or ankle boots.
However, if you love to experiment with color, Pantone’s Ultra Violet presents the perfect way to make a statement! Unlock the potential of your imagination with this bold purple! In addition, you can pair patterns and pieces that have red, pink, and green, which all complement this shade of purple. Below are some of my favorite, trendy pieces that are taking advantage of Pantone’s Ultra Violet Color of 2018.
You can also check out my Pantone Color of 2018 – Ultra Violet Pinterest Board for more ideas!
Wearing Pantone Ultra Violet on Your Nails
- Marine Loves Polish and More: Easy Dry Marble – Pantone 2018 Ultraviolet – This nail art design is super easy. Marine uses a few shades of polish and a marbling technique that she invented. A video tutorial of the marbling technique is included in the post!
- Chantal’s Corner: Prim + Proper Nail Polish in Victoria Violet – Chantal features and reviews a Canadian brand of nail polish, Prim + Proper, in this blog post. This nail polish color, Victoria Violet, works perfectly for adding in Pantone’s Ultraviolet color for 2018!
- Styleoholic: Pantone’s 2018 Color: 15 Ultra-Violet Manicure Ideas – Styleoholic has 15 different nail art ideas for adding in the bold Pantone Ultraviolet into your look. My personal fav is the geometric nail art idea!
Pantone Ultra Violet Shoes
Zappos has a great selection of purple shoes. I’ve included a variety of shades so that you can decide how far you want to push the envelope!
- Zappos: Supra Vaider – I love these rich, purple Supras! And they are available in both men’s and women’s sizes.
- Zappos: Puma Suede Deco – These Puma Suede Decos are perfect for adding in a lighter shade of the Pantone Ultraviolet for your everyday wear!
- Zappos: Old Friend Bella – These Old Friend Bellas are perfect for a casual and comfy look. These moccasins are indoor and outdoor friendly as well.
Jewelry in Pantone Ultra Violet
For my jewelry picks, I headed over to Etsy to give you some handmade options. These three ultra violet accessories are so lovely. You can easily add any of these jewelry options into your 2018 fashion style without fearing that the Pantone Ultra Violet will be overpowering.
daimblond: Ultra Violet Resin Stacking Ring – This ring is so unique and amazing! I love the violet color mixed with the silver flakes.
Ksesta: Gypsy Tassel Earrings – These earrings are intended to be for a sports fan, but I just loved the colors and design! The top portion of the earrings are made from polymer clay. Due to the handmade nature of these earrings, they are one of a kind and no set is identical.
- SadaJewels: Amethyst Necklace – SadaJewels creates beautiful birthstone necklaces. I love the purple amethyst with the sterling silver in this necklace.
Handbags in Pantone Ultra Violet
I truly believe that handbags are a great place to be fearless with your color choices. Handbags or wallets are a fabulous choice for adding Pantone Ultra Violet into your look.
Dominiquevari: Smokey Ultra Violet and Pink Marble Tote Bag – This tote bag designed by Dominiquevari on RedBubble is so amazing! I love the marbled design and the mix of pink, purple, and white. It’s totally a great tote bag to grab for 2018!
- Express: Fold-Over Card Holder – If you don’t feel like grabbing an ultra violet handbag, try out this slim wallet from Express. It holds up to 6 cards.
- Zappos: Anuschka® handbag Mini Crossbody – This Anuschka® handbag is another great option if you don’t need a large handbag. The Mini Crossbody has two front pockets and can hold your sunglasses, phone, and wallet. I love this cracked design on the Ultra Violet background – so pretty!
Pantone Ultra Violet Purple in Women’s Wear
Feeling bold? Ready to add this rich, vibrant color into your look in a big way? Check out these three women’s shirts and tops in Pantone Ultra Violet.
- Lili Gal: V Neck Purple Long Sleeve T Shirt – This cotton V Neck T-shirt is stunning in the Pantone Ultra Violet color. You can easily pair this shirt with jeans and be on your way!
Express: Striped City Shirt By Express – I love this striped city shirt from Express. It’s a toned down option for adding purple into your fashion style, compared to the other two.
- Dress Lily: Raglan Sleeve Lace Up Top – This is totally my favorite of the three! I love the rich purple color and the lace sleeves in this women’s top from Dress Lily.
Pantone’s Ultra Violet color of the year for 2018 is a very bold and vibrant color that will bring originality into your fashion. It can be used on it’s own or to add a pop of color to your fashion wardrobe.
Are you intending to incorporate Ultra Violet purple into your fashion in 2018? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below! If you are still nervous about using Ultra Violet purple, try it out on an accessory item. Be sure to come back Tuesday, when I will show some of the Ultra Violet designs I have been working on. Feel free to join my tribe and mailing list so that you don’t miss out on anything!